Friday, October 8, 2010

Read-a-Thon only hours away, finally signing up



My life has been a complete zoo for WEEKS now, and I'm so excited to have a Saturday with nothing scheduled for our whole family except a much-needed haircut for me (YAY!), and the 24-Hour Read-a-Thon, a totally awesome excuse for me to REST and READ and not do housework and try to avoid anything else I don't want to deal with. My goal for the Read-a-Thon is to finish at least one of the books I've got "in progress," a total of four of them, all print books, which is very unusual for me. I usually have one audiobook, and one or maybe two print books, so if I can finish one or two of these, it will feel like good progress. Kafka is the priority there, because the book group discussion is next Tuesday evening.

Two of the books in the pile below are NOT books in progress. I finished reading Great House by Nicole Krauss almost two weeks ago, and since I got it from LibraryThing, I need to write a review, and soon -- so I might take a break from reading to write that review. The other unread is A Dog Called Kitty by Bill Wallace, which my older son loved, and my younger son must like it as well because he's been bothering me to read it for several weeks now. It would be a great change of pace if I feel I need to dial things down for a while.

No great expectations, just some quality reading time, some peace and quiet, and finish at least one of the books I've already started. Happy Read-a-Thon, everyone!

8 comments:

Valerie said...

Be sure to bring one of these books with you during your haircut :-). You've got some good choices there-- I'm looking forward to the readathon too!

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

Nice pile! Just 15 minutes until Readathon!

Cass said...

Kafka during the readathon?? Color me impressed! Enjoy your reading!

Anonymous said...

I love short stories and Kafka! good pile! have fun and remember to take breaks when you need them! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

(Non)traditional Buddhist readathon blessing:

Just as the books fill the shelves,
Pile together on the floor and stack up on the table
So may the joy of the readathon
Flow forth to brighten your day and lift your spirit.
Books already read, books in progress and books yet to be read.

By the power of every word on the page
May your book be delightful,
As scary as Lovecraft’s Cthulhu
Or as sweet as a box of See’s candy.

Let the power of the images evoked by words
Keep you stay awake long through the night
May no obstacle impede
Your day filled with books.

For all of those who are reading today
Who follow in the path of Dewey
May your day be filled with the four blessings
Of fabulous books, tasty snacks, comfy chairs and joy.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're having fun reading today! Good luck! :)

gautami tripathy said...

you are doing good
as you should
but don't forget food!

Cass said...

Don't let the late hour
Make you dour,
Just get up and stretch--
You'll feel the best!